RPNs share their stories in new HSA video
Last month over 50 RPNs from around BC came together for the RPN Summit on Workplace Violence at the HSA Head Office.
Today, we’re releasing a video featuring HSA RPN members as they share their experiences with violence in the workplace.
The day-long solutions oriented summit featured hands-on workshops and presentations on the Provincial Summit on Workplace Violence from the HSA Health and Safety Officer, High Risk Workplace Strategy from WorksafeBC, RPN rights during BCNU raids from the HSA legal team and member discussion groups led by HSA RPN Stewards.
The summit was building on a larger conversation with RPNs on workplace violence initiatives. In the Fall of 2014, HSA President Val Avery called on Health Minister Terry Lake to hold a provincial summit on workplace violence. That summit was held this April where the HSA was recognized as a provincial leader in workplace health and safety initiatives.
Today, RPN members are taking that discussion back to their workplaces around the province and developing member-led solutions with the support of the HSA.
RPN focused workplace violence initiative pilot projects are currently in progress at the following worksites:
- Abbotsford Regional Hospital
- Royal Jubilee Regional Hospital
- Dawson Creek & District Regional Hospital
RPN members at these worksites came together and contacted the HSA office for support in responding to increasing injury rates due to violence and aggression. The HSA Health & Safety Officer and HSA Labour Relations Officers will be working together with those RPNs and their Stewards to identify root causes of those hazards and to implement proper measures to control them.
Don’t see your workplace on the list, but think it should be? Here’s what you can do:
1. Talk to your co-workers and local HSA RPN Stewards about starting a workplace violence prevention initiative at your worksite.
2. Contact Jonny at the HSA office by e-mailing @email or by text message / phone at 778-866-0542.
3. Pick a date for a lunch or dinner meeting with HSA staff that works best for you and your co-workers. The HSA will provide support with room bookings, member notifications through posters and emails, and provide funding to cover the costs of the room booking, lunch and dinner meeting.
If you’re interested in being involved or connected to workplace safety and violence prevention initiatives let us know by email to @email or by text message / phone to 778-866-0542.