Women and Labour: Where Have We Been and Where Are We Going?
Edith MacHattie, HSA member and Co-Chair of the BC Health Care Coalition participates on a panel on women's activism in unions being presented by the Burnaby Teachers' Association Ad Hoc Labour Outreach Committee Saturday, January 24 from 4 to 7 p.m.
- Date: Saturday, January 24, 2015
- Time: 4 - 7 p.m.
- Place: SFU Harbour Centre - Room 1400
Featuring keynote speaker Irene Lanzinger, the first woman to be elected President of the BC Federation of Labour, the event is intended to engage labour activists, new and experienced, in networking and strategizing towards goals to help strengthen our collective power and to oppose attacks on labour and working people.
The panel includes MacHattie, Nadio Santoro from Unifor, Karen Ranalletta from CUPE, Barb Nederpel from HEU, and Christine Stewart from BCTF. The panelists will speak about their experiences with union activism, addressing such issues as:
- How might we bring our knowledge and experience within our separate locals together to strengthen our strategies toward common goals?
- What stands in the way of building our capacity?
- What strengths do we currently hold that might be better utilized through collective actions?
The event is for anyone interested in networking and coordinating with other unions and activists toward a stronger labour movement.