Race, Racism in Healthcare and Social Services: Building Anti-racist Care Virtual Workshop
Race, Racism in Healthcare & Social Services:
Building Anti-racist Care
An HSA Virtual Diversity Workshop
HSA is pleased to offer another opportunity to attend this two-day workshop virtually. Members are expected to attend the entirety of both days.
April 19 & 20, 2021
TIME: 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
LOCATION: Virtual – WebEx details to follow
It will be led by two experienced facilitators, who since the brutal murder of George Floyd have been inundated with requests for their expertise in anti-racism, and have provided training and consultations to numerous organizations and spoken in the media.
Natasha Aruliah, is a facilitator, consultant, educator and coach specializing in diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice and transformative organisational change. She has more than 25 years experience working with government, union, non-profit, community and corporate sectors in the UK, Europe, Canada, and the USA, and specifically in the areas of education, health care, community services and the environment.
Parker Johnson, is an independent organizational development consultant with a focus on inclusive, equitable, diverse and just workplace culture and organizational change. He's also an associate with Elevate Inclusion Strategies. Prior to spending ten years as the employment equity officer for the City of Vancouver, he was the equity advisor at the University of BC and earned his graduate degree in education at Harvard.
Workshop participants will:
- Learn language, definitions and key concepts of anti-racism and racial justice.
- Examine Whiteness, white fragility and how they maintain systemic racism.
- Explore the components of White supremacy culture and how they are active in organizations and embed systemic racism.
- Understand the 4 levels of racism and use case studies to explore them.
- Develop personal skills to confront racism, and respond when witnessing it.
- Examine how to apply a health equity lens to tackle systemic issues.
This workshop is open to all HSA members. Space is limited.
Members who are interested in this workshop are asked to complete a registration application by logging into My Events Registration using the prompts provided. Workshops are listed under Other events. Please call the HSA office at 604.517.0994 or 1.800.663.6119 if you do not know your HSA member ID number.